Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Funny Valentine

I love my husband. Anyone that knows me knows that I am madly in love with this man and I am not ashamed to admit it. It is hard to verbalize all the reasons why. He certainly is a good father, a wonderful friend and companion, selfless and generous. There has always been something so special about him. I was watching "Undercover Boss" after the Superbowl and was very moved by the words of the wife of Larry O'Donnell, the COO of Waste Management. She basically stated that she always knew her husband was someone special, that he was someone and was going to do great things. And she said it very matter of fact. It was her dogma.

It clicked immediately for me. I knew that this guy, this kid who wasn't that much taller than me but then later grew 6 inches over one summer, the kid that was always around but never said much, the one that seemed to always listen with a sympathetic ear- him. He was someone. He was always such a good friend not only to me, but to everyone. He was genuinely kind. I just knew that he was someone I always wanted to have in my life.

Lest you think I have landed the most perfect specimen of a man, well, ha! Sure, he leaves his dirty socks around. I trip over his size 12 boats, I mean, shoes daily. He sometimes forgets to call to tell me he is going to be late. I have to nag to get him to throw out the trash. He tunes me out. Despite my begging, he refuses to sort the utensils before putting them in the dishwasher. He waits for the garbage truck to enter our cul-de-sac before he puts the can on the curb.

But I will take all those annoying quirks. He sorts the socks. When traveling, I never have to lift a suitcase. He lets me sit in the aisle seat at the hockey games. He always coaches M's teams and never makes me go to a practice. Bunco, dinner with the girls, shopping, movies- he always encourages me to go. He takes me out for sushi even though he doesn't eat it. Sometimes be brings me fast food breakfast because he knows how much I love those darn biscuits. And when I need a hug, he throws his arms around me before I even have to ask. He thinks I am beautiful even though I know I am not. And he does it all because he loves me. How did I get so lucky?

So on this Valentine's Day, I want to tell my favorite person in the world how much I love and cherish him. He makes me a better person and makes me incredibly happy. Marriage is certainly a journey and is not always an easy one. But at the end of the day, who can't love a man that sorts the socks. I hate sorting the socks. And the more I think about it, he does too. But he does it because he loves me.

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little Valentine stay
Each day is Valentine's day

No comments:

Post a Comment